The Peacock

Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The end of Newspaper Comic Strips?

Is this the end to our Sunday, newspaper comics strips? I hope not. After so many years (since my childhood), I can remember flipping through all of the news pages, just to reach the best section. My eye's lit up like a light when I saw the newest stories, and enjoyed laughing at their cunning jokes. Slowly, the strips started disappearing - even Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbs, also Garfield were losing their beautiful vibrant ink. We went from a full page with a variety of comics, down to a one page corner, that was crammed with the few (black and white) popular strips. We're in the process of a technical revolution. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the newest advancements. Although, there are things in the art world that simply cannot be replaced - and, that's holding a fresh printed paper in your hands with the latest humour. The cartoonists work hard to share little hints of life's relations. I've always admired their imagination. There are plenty of times that I wish I could see through their eyes, during hard times. They haven't been given credit in the high art world. Which is political nonsense - in my opinion. Comic strips have just as much meaning as a Mona Lisa. The difference is, comics relate to us in a modern era. After watching a Netflix documentary, I realized how hard they're hanging on. The sports section is taking over, and advertisements are smothering what's left. We need to support our artist community - big or small. Contact your local newspaper and keep requesting comic sections. This is a tradition that shouldn't end.

No comments:

Post a Comment