The Peacock

Monday, January 11, 2016

Tools of the trade...

Out with the old, in with the new. My poor old paint brushes have turned into sticks with splinters, because I've used them so much. I admit the reason I've hung on to them for so long is - because they're like old friends, that have been good to me. My brushes have seen everything that I've expressed. Every vulnerable secret, anger, sadness, or elated moment was in my hands. It's unfair to give credit to what I've constructed, with acknowledging the tools used with my skill. So, here's a blog giving a tribute to the brushes that I am going to set aside. (Notice I didn't say throw away), sorry just can't do it.

Anyway, today after browsing every brush in Hobby Lobby I decided on a couple packs, that particularly suited my taste. And, what do you know? The cheapest pack for $3 had every brush I needed. Before the high art elites, or art snobs judge - I had a pocket full of money and chose those specific packs based on quality not price. You think a classic name brand has the best brushes and paints, since you've become comfortable, while being happy with the results. I've done the same growing up - same as I have with the cheap brushes, although a lifelong lessons have taught me better.

What artists do not realize is the very (same) companies are manufacturing the (same) brushes. One is sold in a cheap pack, with different color painted stems or label stamps - the other high end brushes are outlined in gold leaf packs and have signatures of companies or other artists. It's a sneaky trick to trap artists, so we feel important. Also, their advertisements insure us that the quality is up to par and assures artists that we can paint as good as Rembrandt! Don't fall into the trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment